New York, 28th March: The Jaguar F-TYPE has today been declared the 2013 World Car Design of the Year.
Ian Callum, Director of Design, Jaguar, said: "No design project has given me greater pleasure than the creation of the F-TYPE. It's a project I've looked forward to from the moment I joined Jaguar, and it's one that's given my team and I great satisfaction. The F-TYPE is a sports car that is true to Jaguar's design values - beauty of line and purity of form - and I'm honoured that the World Car of the Year jury has recognised our work with this award."
Some 43 cars were considered for the award, this selection being reduced to a shortlist by an advisory panel of design experts* before final consideration by the 66 World Car of the Year jury members.
On the F-TYPE, the advisory panel said: "The long wheelbase, short overhangs and flared fenders give this car a good stance. The contour in plan view tapered toward the door emphasises the muscular rear fender that houses the driven wheels.
"The F-TYPE exterior maintains Jaguar's own elegance in its horizontal proportion and rounded surfaces, yet it looks very dynamic. But I would like to say the interior design is even more attractive. It is clearly driver-oriented, and a grip bar for the passenger is nicely integrated into the big centre console. The seat design is superb, too."
The award was collected by Adrian Hallmark, Global Brand Director, Jaguar, at the New York International Auto Show. Commenting from the show, he said: "The F-TYPE is the first full-blooded Jaguar sports car to be launched for more than 50 years. Its architecture and technology are world class, wrapped in an evocative and progressive design that could only be a Jaguar - 'Callum unfiltered', as we call it in-house. It is as dynamic yet refined as any Jaguar sports car should be, and is a unique proposition from a performance and price perspective. This combination of factors has clearly inspired this year's jurors, and we are delighted and honoured to collect this award."
Candidates for the World Car Design of the Year award may be on the overall World Car of the Year list, or may be included as a stand-alone entry provided the vehicle is introduced and available for sale in at least one major market during the period beginning January 1, 2012, and ending May 30, 2013.
*The panel of design experts which produced the shortlist for the World Car of the Year Jurors consisted of:
Masatsugu Arimoto (Japan - Freelance design journalist)
Silvia Baruffaldi (Italy - Auto & Design magazine)
Gernot Bracht(Germany - Pforzheim Design School)
Sam Livingstone (U.K.- Car Design Research and Royal College of Art)
Tom Matano (USA-School of Industrial Design at Academy of Art University in San Francisco)
F-TYPE key facts
- The F-TYPE is an all-new, two-seater, Jaguar sports car
- A front-engined, rear-wheel drive convertible, the F-TYPE is engineered to deliver pure dynamic driving reward and stunning performance
- Visually, the F-TYPE's exterior demonstrates a new sports car design language for Jaguar, with cleaner lines delivered through the discreet use of technology such as deployable spoiler and door handles
- The F-TYPE's interior features a driver-focused philosophy, with engaging controls encased in dramatic architecture. Unique technical grains tailor the trim materials, further differentiating the dual-cockpit cabin
- Three models will be available - F-TYPE, F-TYPE S and the F-TYPE V8 S. They are powered respectively by Jaguar's new 3.0-litre V6 supercharged petrol engine in 340PS and 380PS outputs and its 5.0-litre V8 supercharged petrol producing 495PS
- The range-topping F-TYPE V8S will reach 60mph in 4.2 seconds and has a top speed of 186mph. The 380PS V6 F-TYPE S will reach 60mph in 4.8 seconds and 171mph, the equivalent figures for the F-TYPE are 5.1 seconds and 161mph